Monday, February 24, 2014

Transformation Artist Statement

Staircase of Forks

Since I work in the food industry I though it was fitting for me to pick an item that people use for eating but rarely ever study it as an object of beauty of artistic. The plastic fork is something that people use and throw away. I think that I gave them a whole new meaning. I took a bunch of white forks and used them to create a spiral of sorts. When one fork is by itself it doesn’t really mean a lot but when many are combined together with an artful intention I created something much more interesting. The forks give the sculpture as a whole a really cool texture almost like a spiral staircase. I appreciate the simplicity that the forks are by themselves and the the complex shape that they form when stacked and glued together. I thought about adding some color to it but I honestly really like the natural white finish that the forks have. They create interesting shadows and also reflect light well.

Tyler Penner

No comments:

Post a Comment