Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Artist Statement Skeleton + Skin

At first I was not sure how this piece was going to come out and I was not entirely excited with what I had come up with from my first two attempts. But after brainstorming a little and being patient with the material I created a piece that I am happy with. The piece that I created for this project has a corkscrew kind of shape that winds from point to point getting thicker in the middle. When I was constructing it, it was difficult to get all of the pieces to stay in the right places long enough for them to be held permanently. This was the third attempt that I made for this project, and definitely was the one that turned out the best. The first two attempts allowed me to get more familiar with the materials that I was working with and how they were able to create shapes that had artistic value. The material that I used was just some medium gauge wire and some screen mesh. I held the mesh onto the wire with a good amount of rubber cement and I also decided to paint over the mesh with the rubber cement which gave it an interesting look like the mesh was more solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment